First Nation solar project commissioned
Last updated 11/28/2022 at 11:15am
REGINA, Sask.-In November, a First Nation solar project was commissioned on Cowesses First Nation land about three kilometers southeast of Regina.
The solar project was developed by Awasis Solar LP, which is a partnership between Cowessess First Nation and Elemental Energy. Cowessess currently owns 95 percent of Awasis, and Elemental Energy owns the remaining 5 percent.
According to Chief Cadmus Delorme, the First Nation will have full ownership in the first five years. He explained that the power generated by the plant will be sold to SaskPower for the next 20 years as part of a power purc...